“A Little Lighter” Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies are still cookies – they taste normal and they are still a sweet treat, but there’s no reason why they can’t also be just a little healthier than the standard chocolate chip cookie! By using less sugar and substituting half of the regular flour for whole grain flour, they still taste just as good, but with a little less guilt. These are also a fun treat you and your charge can make together!
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix until they become creamy. Add the vanilla, baking soda, and egg, and mix until everything is combined.
- Add in the flour ¼ cup at a time, making sure to incorporate all the flour before adding the next part into the mixture.
- Once the dough comes together, add the chocolate chips and mix just until everything is combined. Scoop the cookies out using a tablespoon measure to make them all the same size, and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the cookies are very lightly golden on the top.