Crunchy Italian Pita Chips
by amber ketchum, MDS, RD
This recipe is great for kids (and adults!) who love crunchy salty snacks like potato chips. These cute little triangle chips have a nice garlic and Italian herb flavor and can be made in minutes! Also, using whole grain pita and cooking spray and baking rather than frying adds fiber and protein and reduces the amount of fat compared to traditional chips.
- 1 whole grain pita round (flatbread)
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning (can use combination of dried oregano, parsley, and basil)
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut pita into small triangles. An easy way to do this is to cut the pita into 4 strips, then cut each strip into about 7 triangles. One pita can make about 28 chips.
- Spray the chips with cooking spray and sprinkle with cheese and seasonings.
- Bake about 7-10 minutes or until chips achieve desired crispness.
Makes 1 serving.
Flavorful tip: Try different spices for different flavored chips! Chili powder and garlic powder for a Southwestern flavor or dried dill, parsley, and garlic powder for ranch flavor. It’s easy to make different flavors at once; just use a different seasoning on each pita.
Nutrition info per serving (about 28 chips): 150 Calories, 4.6g fat, 560mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 0g sugar, 5g protein
Nutrition info calculated on www.caloriecounter.com.