Energy Bites Recipe
by sarah koontz, RD LD Registered Dietitian
These lovely energy bites are sure to put a spring in your step with just the right amount of sugar! The recipe can be altered very easily to include your little charge’s favorite add-ins. Try out raisins, apricots, or walnuts to mix it up!
Makes 20 mini-muffins
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds (or flaxseed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray mini-muffin pan with non-stick spray or use muffin liners.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Fill mini-muffin wells to the top with batter and press 2-3 chocolate chips on the very top of each muffin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.