Sweetheart Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup
Celebrate the month of love with this fun, healthy breakfast treat for your charges! These pancakes are so simple because they start with a whole grain pancake mix that you can find at most grocery stores. Once you make the pancakes, cut them into hearts with a heart-shaped cookie-cutter or small knife. You can also find heart-shaped pancake molds at most kitchen stores if this becomes a household staple. The blueberry syrup has just 3 ingredients and is the extra special touch that makes this recipe the perfect option for the little sweethearts in your life!
Makes 8-12 heart shaped pancakes, and about ¾ cup blueberry syrup
- Whole grain boxed pancake mix (plus ingredients such as milk, eggs, and oil, for one batch of pancakes according to the package directions)
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter – look for one about 3 inches in size
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Pinch of cinnamon (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- Prepare the pancakes according to package directions. Try to make the pancakes barely larger than your heart-shaped cookie cutter to avoid excess.
- While the pancakes are cooking, place the syrup, blueberries, and cinnamon in a small saucepan over low heat. Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors blend together.
- After you remove the pancakes from the griddle, use a heart-shaped cookie cutter or small knife to cut heart shapes out of each pancake.
- To serve, pour some of the syrup and blueberries on the bottom of the plate and place the pancake(s) on top (Note: the syrup will be very dark and turn the pancakes purple if you pour it on top, so put it on the bottom of the plate, beneath the pancakes).